In this article we want to talk about the work of the school psychologist with adolescents. How should this work: group, individual? And is there any optimal solution to this problem?
Adolescence some special period, with its difficulties and laws. Moreover, this crisis period is the most time-consuming. In this period the main task of adolescents is vital self-determination in matters: what to do? and who to be? Active personal search and experimentation in various roles. Clear gender polarization in the forms of interpersonal behavior. The worldview formation. Search its social role in the group. This must be taken into account when working with adolescents.
What difficulties met by the teenager on the path of self-determination? When the child begins to interact with existing public values, he begins to compare his behavior with some “samples”. These “samples” to give him immediate environment: parents, teachers, caregivers and other meaningful adults and peers.
Working in schools with teenagers, we came to the conclusion that with the emergence in the consciousness of the child the discrepancy between actual behaviour and offer examples of negative attitudes are formed, how the proposed values, and to himself. The child begins to experience difficulties in relationships with others, which lead to certain forms of social maladjustment, increasing the chance to get into the risk group. It is very important to provide these guys just psychological support, to teach them the right attitude towards yourself and others.
However, it is well known that, even if they experience difficulties, not every teenager will go itself to the psychologist. How to help Teens? You can organize seminars on matters of interest. You can conduct individual lessons of psychology on a specific topic, the most relevant in this age. Each of you has personal experience of similar works provided for the post by International Adoption research blogger and columnist.
From our point of view one of the best options is an organization working with teenagers in the training groups. It’s a game, and at the same time. As already mentioned, teenagers do not often come to a psychologist with their problems themselves. Even more rarely, they try to solve their problems, if the handle has led parents or teachers. And when attending training in the peer group, they feel safe, they feel more comfortable. On the one hand, and possible problems to work on, it does not stand out among others.
Mental problems, difficulties of communication and understanding, the perennial question about the meaning of your own existence and things of concern not only to adolescents. But in adolescence, these questions begin to arise. Therefore, the organization of work for young persons in groups of psychological training so important in adolescence. It is a modern answer to the eternal questions of the human soul. He’s not the only and not absolute. But someone will help. Anyway, guys, past good psychological training, always be a little different.
Personal development is the recognition and realization of the unique opportunities available to each person. People are born equal, but different. Respect of the identity of the person, cultivating its uniqueness, corresponding to his nature and consistent with the highest moral, spiritual values, fostering positive relationships of the child to himself and the surrounding world – all this should be the main principle when working with teenagers at a training class, learn more on aspects of international adoption programs.
Objectives of training can be quite diverse, reflecting the versatility of the processes. Relying on the opinion of renowned experts, highlight common goals, uniting different in focus and content of the training groups:
- the study of the psychological problems of members and assist in their solution;
- improving subjective well-being and mental health promotion;
- the development of self-awareness and self-examination of the participants for correction or prevention of emotional disorders on the basis of internal and behavioral changes;
- the study of effective ways of interpersonal interaction to create the Foundation for a more harmonious communication with people;
- facilitating the process of personal development, realization of creative potential.
As you can see, the objectives of the training addressed a range of issues.
Of course, in the organization of training workwith adolescents in the school setting, there are a number of difficulties. We will consider three main ones:
- First, it is the time aspect. A number of group activities can be done in one lesson. But training implies a long time of systematic training, each with one side often lasts more than one lesson, with another requires systematic visits. In training hours allocated for lessons, such lessons are not provided. After school to organize children for training is not always easy. Guys in a hurry about their business. Besides tired from practice. This complicates the organization of visits of the training.
- Secondly, the motivational aspect. Many Teens believe that they do not need such lessons. But from the interest of boys in these classes directly depends on the organization of the training themselves, and thus help many children in solving problems.
- Thirdly, resistance and protective reactions of the teenagers in class. Actually, this happens when playing with any group, as a stage of team development. But in adolescence is more pronounced.
The question of how necessary when working with adolescents group work (training lessons, or other), is associated with understanding, who has group form in comparison with an individual.
Follow the author of the book “the basic technology of group training. Psycho” Vaccuum I. V. will list the benefits of psycho-corrective and psychotherapeutic work in groups, highlighting their essence:
1. Group experiences prevents exclusion, helps to solve interpersonal problems. Working in the group the teenager finds that his problems are not unique, and that others experience similar feelings. For many, such a discovery in itself is a powerful psychotherapeutic factors. And as response of the circuit ibaigane unproductive teenager myself with their difficulties.
2. The group reflects the society in miniature, makes it clear such hidden factors as the pressure of partners, social influence and conformity. In fact in the group is modeled by a system of relations and interactions characteristic of real life participants. And then is a good life school.
3. A person in the group can learn new skills, to experiment with different styles of relations among equal partners. If in real life such an experiment always entails a risk of misunderstanding, rejection and even punishment, the training group act as a kind of “psychological ground” where you can try to behave differently than usual, to “try on” new behaviors, to learn a new way to relate to himself and others – and all this in an atmosphere of goodwill, acceptance and support.
4. In a group participants can identify themselves with others, to “play” the role of another person to better understand him and myself and to discover new effective ways of behavior used by someone.
5. The possibility of getting feedback and support from people with similar problems. In real life, not all people have the chance to get a sincere, non-judgmental feedback that allows you to see your reflection in the eyes of other people who understand the essence of your experiences, because they themselves are experiencing the same thing.
6. The interaction in the group creates the tension that helps to clarify the psychological problems of each. At the same time, psychological stress in a group can (and should) play a constructive role, the facilitator’s role is not to let stress get out of control and destroy productive relationships in the group;
7. The group facilitates the process of self-discovery, self-exploration and self-discovery. Otherwise than in the group, otherwise than through another person, of these processes is fully possible. Opening oneself to others and opening yourself to allow yourself to understand themselves, change themselves and improve self-confidence.
A healthy person is not only a life without diseases. It is a healthy attitude to yourself and to others, the ability to quickly and to adapt well to the changing conditions of life, harmonious relationship with oneself.
The feeling of stability of self and identity another important condition of internal well-being and establishing normal relationships with other people. If any important for communicating with people forms the identity was not stable, it is difficult for people to actually interact with each other to achieve mutual understanding: because every time they would have had to re-adapt to the person and would not have been able to predict his behavior.
On the other hand, no less valuable and vital importance than the constancy of human behavior, has, on the contrary, its variability, adaptability. It shows other valuable abilities of man – his ability to adapt to changing conditions of life, to change myself as a person, if necessary. Such quality appears to be quite valuable to the individual in cases where the society is undergoing radical change, requiring each person a considerable modification of his views, attitudes, value orientation, etc. Therefore, the variability in certain circumstances must be viewed as a positive personal attribute of a person. If a person today is different than yesterday, then it develops.